To WATCH/LISTEN to the competition, go to http://printcompetition.com/clubhouseGameDay.
You will have the option to connect to live audio via the Zoom link provided on the Game Day page. Please make sure you choose 'PPSA' as the Association.
The PPSA Annual Image Competition allows photographers to enter digital images or albums to be judged against a standard of excellence using the 12 Elements of a Merit Image. This allows entrants to compete and receive feedback in preparation for District and International PPA Competitions.
PPSA strives to use the same rules that PPA uses for the IPC (International Photographic Competition). However, while there are no scores given at IPC competition (merit/no merit only), PPSA continues to use the traditional scoring system (65-100) as illustrated above. This gives you the opportunity to test the strength of your images at a local level before entering larger competitions.
We encourage members and non-members to participate in PPSA's annual image competition. The following categories, rules, and guidelines will assist those wanting to enter our annual digital photographic competition.
DIGITAL IMAGE SUBMISSION
Our digital image submissions are managed via PrintCompetition.com, which provides a robust interface for managing our competition. There is a minimum ($10/year) fee to use their site. Here's how to get started.
Up to (8) entries are allowed. Entrants may enter any combination of categories. Each album is considered as a single entry.
IMAGE CATEGORY DESCRIPTIONS
- Portrait -- Photographs of individuals or groups, regardless of age or number of individuals, as well as animals. (Exception – those that meet the criteria for Illustrative, Wedding, or Digital Artist categories)
- Scenic -- Scenes or elements from nature where people are not the dominate feature of the image. This includes most nature and landscape photographs.
- Illustrative -- Images such as photographic art, photojournalism, architectural, commercial, or other images that do not fit any of the other categories. Portraits and wedding images are not appropriate for this category.
- Wedding -- Any photographic image from a wedding event or bridal portrait session. Engagement images are not appropriate for this category.
- Digital Artist -- Composites, paintings, and other elements that extend beyond traditional retouching and changing the entire scope of the finished product.
- Artist may use an image or images in their entry that were not photographed by them.
- Entries may be reproduced from existing photographs, portraits, graphics, or any other artwork so long as the entrant is prepared to provide appropriate written documentation indicating permission for usage. The artist does not need to have taken the photographic elements.
- All processing, manipulation, artwork, and rendering must be done by the entrant.
- Entries in the Digital Artist category can include any subject.
- Guide images must be included on the face of the image, either below or alongside the artwork.
- Album - Albums may be of any subject.
REGISTRATION DEADLINES AND FEES
PPSA members may enter up to (4) entries at no charge. Additional entries may be entered for $10 each. A total of (8) entries are allowed.
Non-members may enter up to eight (8) entries at $15/ea.
IMAGE ENTRY ELIGIBILITY & REQUIREMENTS
ALBUM ENTRY ELIGIBILITY & REQUIREMENTS
- Only digital entries will be accepted.
- The entrant must have captured and created the original image(s), unless included as an element within the Digital Artist category.
- Multiple entries of the same subject may be entered if substantive change has been made between the images. (i.e. background, location, clothing, and concept).
- The entrant’s name or studio name shall not appear anywhere on the face of any entry.
- The entrant has obtained all necessary releases (model or property).
- No entry will be eligible that has been made under the direct supervision of an instructor or as a class assignment.
- Files must be sized so the longest dimension is 4,000 pixels. The best aspect ratio to use for the monitor for your image is a 13:20 ratio of 2600px by 4000px. Each file must contain an embedded color profile of either sRGB or AdobeRGB and be saved at a JPEG quality setting of 10. In most cases, total file size should not exceed 3.5 MB.
- It is not necessary to be present at the image competition to be eligible to particpate, however it is strongly recommended.
- All images are viewed with the monitor in a horizontal (landscape) orientation, consistent with PPA District and IPC standards.
- Only digital entries will be accepted.
- Entrant must have captured and created the original exposures.
- All processing, manipulation, printing or rendering must have been done by the entrant or under their direct supervision.
- The entrant's name or studio name shall not appear anywhere on the face of the entry.
- All page/spread files must have the longest file dimension at 4,000 pixels, have an embedded color profile of either sRGB or AdobeRGB and be saved at a JPEG quality of 10.
- Each page/spread file may contain as many images as you desire.
- An entry shall contain a minimum 5 page/spread files up to 36 page/separate files.
- Files are to be numbered in viewing order using two digits, i.e. 01.jpg, 02.jpg, 03.jpg, etc.
- All individual files must be compressed into a single ZIP file. ZIP file name should use underscores for spaces. For example, what_a_day_to_remember.zip
Video critiques from an IPC approved juror are available for $10 per entry. This is a great way to get personal feedback on your images.
NOTE: Award recipients are responsible for picking up earned award(s) in San Antonio, Texas or may have the award(s) shipped at their own expense.
All entries are due no later than 11:59 P.M. on November 30, 2020.
Entries must be submitted online at www.printcompetition.com.
Membership fee to printcompetition.com is entrant's responsibility.
NO LATE ENTRIES WILL BE ACCEPTED!